Thursday, April 14, 2011

Band-Aids

One day, a little boy was riding his new bicycle, that he had received 3 days earlier, on his birthday. He was so excited because this was the first time he was riding, without training wheels. He was a little wobbly, but that didn't matter. All that mattered to the little boy was that he was doing it. He was riding all by himself and his big smile showed just how proud of himself he was.

His Mom and Dad watched, and as they watched, the little boy got braver. He turned around and headed back towards his Mom and Dad. He stood up, like he had seen his big sister do a thousand times, and, before his parents could stop him, he veered off of the sidewalk and into a bush.

At first, the little boy was stunned, and then he began to cry. His Mom and Dad picked him up and checked him over and asked him if he was ok. The little boy sniffled and said "I cut my knee. I am so dumb". His Dad asked "why do you say that?" The little boy brushed himself off and answered " I am dumb because I can't ride a bike and all of the other kids are gonna make fun of me". His Mom knelt down next to him and turned his face towards hers. She realized her son was embarrassed and said "You are not dumb. You are very brave. Yesterday you needed training wheels. Today, you didn't. It is ok that you fell. Now you know not to stand up while you are riding".

The little boy looked at his Mom and said "but other kids do it all the time and they don't fall". His Dad replied " Maybe not now, but, believe me, they fell off lots of times before they learned how to do it." The little boy thought for a minute and then said " Then I will learn how to do it". Then the little boy turned around and asked, "Mom, do you have a lot of band-aids?" His Mom chuckled and asked him why he asked that question. The little boy, matter-of-factly answered, "Cuz if I'm gonna fall a lot, I am gonna need lots of band-aids".

In life, we all have to fall and make mistakes and fail, in order to learn how to stand strong and succeed.

________________________________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment